The day I got braces

Sophomore Kaitlin Keller got braces on Monday, Oct. 8, but refuses to smile and show her teeth. Photo by Hannah Krussell

Last June, I knew I was going to be getting braces. I had to wear expanders in the top and the bottom of my jaw. I had to expand it twice a week and it was the worst experience I’ve ever had. It was painful and was very unpleasant. I couldn’t eat with it in and I had to clean it three times a day. The pain was so horrible and got to the point where I could barely eat solid foods.

After roughly five months of having the expander in, it was finally time to get my braces. I was a little excited, but also scared at the same time. This is because I knew there was going to be pain with the braces due to me having numerous friends with braces. They’ve told me their horror stories and now it’s time for me to make my own.

I got my braces on Monday, Oct. 8. It didn’t hurt too bad while they were putting them on, but the cement they were using tasted really nasty. Although it was a little painful, I didn’t want to tell them. I didn’t want to be known as that one patient who was always complaining and act like a baby. So, I just held all the pain in my head and kept quiet. They told me I was doing a great job for being such a trooper for not complaining.

About halfway through the process of applying the braces to my teeth, the power went out. The lights kept turning on and off, but eventually went out completely.As they were working on the braces, I was holding a flashlight over my face. It was not fun by any means.

So far, I have had the braces for four days, and they’re not too bad. The first two days I was in a lot of pain, but now it has simmered down a little bit and only hurts when I use my front teeth to bite into something. Overall, thankfully my horror story has yet to come.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.